20 Sussex Churches
20 Sussex Churches
Expand your ecclesiastical horizons by getting up close and intimate with some of the most remarkable parish churches in Sussex. 20 Sussex Churches takes the visitor on a fascinating and illuminating journey, revealing along the way the rich religious, social and architectural history that lies behind each church façade. From the grand to the humble, the rural to the urban, the ancient to the more modern, each landmark church offers something unique and uplifting. If your knowledge of church furniture and architecture stops at ‘font’ and ‘spire’, here is an opportunity to explore the history of Christianity and church-building in Sussex and discover why churches still matter in the modern world.
- An enlightening guide to 20 expertly selected churches encompassing the social and architectural history of church-building in Sussex.
- Architectural features and specific monuments described and explained in a mini walk-through tour of each selected church.
- Includes a comprehensive glossary providing an invaluable explanation of specialist architectural terms.
- Links to useful websites of relevant organisations are provided.
- A user-friendly guide with the precise location of each church pinpointed by National Grid References, and advice on public transport and access.
ISBN: 978-1-906022-00-6, 187mm x 115mm, 96 pages, 30,000 words, 20 specially commissioned illustrations plus map, hardback, marker ribbon
After studying Art History at the University of Sussex and the Courtauld Institute in London, Simon Watney has enjoyed a successful career as a writer, lecturer and broadcaster, with many books on various aspects of the history of art, photography and design to his name. His work as Conservation Cases Recorder for the Church Monuments Society places him in a unique and authoritative position to describe and explain the quality and aesthetic worth of Sussex parish churches. He is a regular contributor to The Burlington Magazine and Church Times.